Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1980 Scotch Whisky, 1L, 43% ABV
Situated on the south shoreline of the island between Ardbeg and Laphroaig.
The distillery, like all those on Islay, built on the shoreline to make possible the easier receipt of supplies and dispatch of whisky in small coastal vessels.
Illicit distilling had been carried out at Lagavulin for many years before.
John Johnston established the first of two distilleries at Lagavulin in 1816.
The following year Archibald Campbell completed a second distillery.
Johnston takes over both distilleries in 1825.